Friday, September 7, 2007

Frustrations!

Lincoln's time on CPAP was short lived and he only lasted 7 hours on it. It was better than the last time, however it was upsetting when he went back on the vent. I wanted the drs to be wrong and now they wont try him on CPAP for atleast another week which i dont understand. He is a pro at extubating himself. He oxygenates very well for his age and considering how early he was. On the vent he is consistently at 25-33%O2, when he gets mad or is being held it is a bit higher. My guess is he tires out and depends on the vent too much because he can do it he just cant keep on the vent even with steroids. Its frustrating
,
Mr. P had a bad day. They thought today was a day to restart feeds however that did not happen. His bloodwork still is all weird. His pH is low for some reason, his CO2 is high, and he cant keep his potassium up. I dont understand what it means when his potassium is low and I cant get a good explanation from the drs. Also he had blood in his stools today, which is an indication that the NEC is still not gone. This has been going on forever. I just want my baby to feel better, be able to get feeds and grow. His growth has been up and down. He isnt oxygenating well either and might be back on the oscillator before long which really makes me sad because I cant hold him then and he did well when I held him the first time.

Thats it for now. Everything about today has been frustrating. I didnt get to see the boys, Madison is sick so I couldnt go.

2 comments:

Big Ali said...

I know how you feel, we had a bad day with our son. But I just wanted to tell you about this book that we found a few weeks ago and it has proven to be gold. It is called Preemies the Essential Guide for Parents of Premature Babies by Dana Wechsler Linden, Emma Trenti Paroli, and Mia Wechsler Doron, MD. As my husband just said it may not make you feel better but it answers soo many questions about our children.
Mama Ali

ayla said...

I don't have a lot of knowledge or experience with preemies, but I do have a good bit of medical knowledge and know how to interpret stuff, if you want help with it. The potassium thing is important because potassium is used to balance sodium, and sodium brings sugar into the cells for energy. A low potassium level is also called hypokalemia, if you want to google it.

Good luck mama, I hope things continue to look up for your boys.