Wednesday, September 5, 2007

L is on CPAP!

He finally did it. Lincoln has been on CPAP for 4 hours! He went on it at 4pm EST and so far so good. They did have to give him steroids to get him off the vent. 6 weeks of the vent. I know he probably wont stay on CPAP, well thats what all the drs have been saying. I hope he proves them wrong! He also hit another great milestone today 3lbs!!!! He is growing so well and fast. They gave him the cutest little purple binky today and he LOVES it!

Pierce, my wimpy white boy is not oxygenating well. His ABG's (Arterial blood gas) have been high, his pH is off, platelets are low which really i dont know what all that means. I get so confused with all the medical terminology, I need to talk to the neos and get them to explain it better, they just made me feel stupid asking so many questions. He is still on the vent with higher settings (22/7x60) and there has been some talk about going back to a high frequency ventilator, probably the oscillator which scares me. We will be attempting to restart feeds on Friday if all looks well with his belly. He will go on pregestimil more than likely long term. He cant tolerate my milk and needs the pre digested formula so all he has to do is absorb the nutrients. Long term effects of NEC I do not know, possibly being tube fed, however i really hope he is fine and can atleast bottle feed when he is ready to come home.

The rollercoaster never ends!

2 comments:

Big Ali said...

I check your blog every day to see how your little ones are doing. Pierce was born the same weight as my little one and my wife and I pray he recovers from his surgeries quickly. Remember that they won't give up fighting until you do.

Shannon said...

Ah the roller coaster. They really knew what they were talking about when they came up with that sentence. Ashton is 26months old and the roller coaster is still going...